ANIMAL CONTROL                           208-465-2257

Nampa Police department provides animal control services for all calls for service within the incorporated city limits of Nampa . Any animal complaints within Nampa City limits should be directed to Nampa Police Dispatch. For animal complaints outside city limits, please contact Canyon County Animal Control .

We contract with the Canyon County Animal Shelter for housing of all animals that are impounded within city limits. If you believe you may have a pet that has been picked up by Animal Control, please contact Canyon County Animal Shelter to make arrangements to recover your pet.

Animal Control Officers provide service seven days a week, 8a.m to 9p.m.  After hours, Patrol Officers will respond for vicious or injured animals and for animals causing a noise disturbance or traffic problem. For all other animal complaints, please call during normal Animal Control Hours.  

For questions reference Nampa City Ordinances regarding animals, please visit the City of Nampa Ordinance Page and see title 6 (Police Regulations) chapter 2 (Animal Control) for all City of Nampa animal ordinances.

For questions regarding licensing your pet, please contact Nampa Police Records at 468-5678.

Dog License Fees
$48.00 Non-Sterilized Dog 1 year license
Non-Sterilized Dog 3 year license
*Sterilized Dog 1 year license
*Sterilized Dog 3 year license
*Must provide written proof from veterinarian of spay/neuter



Animal Control Hours

8:00 AM -  9:00 PM

7 Days a Week


Animal Control Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I lost my dog, what should I do?

A: Call the non-emergency dispatch phone number (208-465-2257) to report your dog as lost. Give a description of the dog. Post on Craigslist Boise in the Lost and found section. Make sure you leave a contact number and list the area that the dog was lost from. Contact the Canyon County Animal Shelter (208-455-5920) to file a lost dog report and go there to see if your dog has been brought in.

Q: My neighbor’s dogs are chewing on our shared fence. I am afraid they may get in my yard.

A: Property damaged by a pet is generally considered negligent, rather than criminal, and thus payment to repair damage is a civil matter. If you fear the neighbor’s dogs getting in to your yard, try fortifying your side of the fence to prevent them from doing so. Animal Control can discuss options with your neighbors on ways to keep dogs on their property. But, until a dog has actually left its yard, no charges can be brought to its owner, i.e. no criminal laws have been broken.

Q: How many dogs am I permitted to own?

A: Nampa City Code (6-2-19A(h)) states that only two dogs over the age of six months are permitted per house in the City of Nampa. If you desire to own more than two dogs, you will have to apply for a Kennel License at Nampa City Hall Planning and Zoning (411 3rd St S; 208-468-5484).

Q: When you catch a dog, what do you do with it?

A: When Animal Control picks up a dog, we scan it for a microchip. If the dog has a chip AND the information is current, we try to bring the dog home. If the dog has no form of identification on it, we bring it to the Canyon County Animal Shelter (5801 Graye Ln, Caldwell). The shelter will hold on to the dog for a set number of days before putting it up for adoption. At the end of the day, Animal Control posts all the dogs that they have brought to the Shelter on Craigslist Boise in the Lost and Found section.

Q: I cannot keep my dog any more; will Animal Control take it to the Shelter for me?

A: No. It is the responsibility of the dog owner to take their dog to the Shelter and sign it over.

Q: My neighbor’s dogs are barking and it is driving me crazy.

A: When you have located the address of the barking dogs, contact Nampa Animal Control and we can go out there and talk to the dog owner to suggest ways to fix the problem. If it is an ongoing issue, start a barking dog log to record the date and times that the dogs are barking. Be sure to leave your contact information so that Animal Control can contact you and let you know their findings/progress.

Q: Are any breeds banned from Nampa?

A: No. All dog breeds are permitted in the City of Nampa. If you have questions about bully breeds, refer to the Bully Breeds Brochure by Animal Control for more information.

Q: I want to call about an animal problem, but I am afraid of retaliation from the people I am calling on. Do you give out our contact information?

A: No, we do not share the reporting party’s information to the people that we are sent to talk to. If you decide to sign a citation against someone, they will know who you are, but may not harass or approach you about the matter.

Q: Does Animal Control pick up cats?

A: We only pick up cats that are sick or injured for humane euthanasia.

Q: There are so many cats in my neighborhood since my neighbor feeds them. They destroy my garden and spray my house. What can I do?

A: There is no limit to how many cats a person may own in the City of Nampa. If you are having nuisance cat problems, Animal Control suggests to rent or buy a humane trap to trap cats on YOUR OWN property to re-home or bring to the Shelter. If you continue to have problems, please attend a Nampa City Council meeting (held on the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month) to share your thoughts on the feral cat problem in Nampa.

Q: Are roosters allowed in Nampa?

A: No.

Q: There are raccoons/foxes/rock chucks, etc in my yard/under my house/trailer. Can Animal Control catch them?

A: Animal Control usually handles domesticated animals. We recommend contacting a local trapper to come and catch wildlife to relocate it.

Q: Where can I find a list of the animal-related laws for Nampa?

A: All City of Nampa animal control ordinances are listed on the internet here. Idaho state animal laws can also be found online on the State of Idaho Legislature statutes and titles webpage .

Q: I just moved to Nampa and have dogs. What do I need to know?

A: All dogs within Nampa city limits are required to have a Nampa City Dog License (per City Ordnance 6-2-19). There are discounts for Senior Citizens (over 65 years of age), if the dog is microchipped and if the dog is spayed/neutered. All dogs in Nampa are required to have a current rabies vaccination.

Note: underground electric fences do not qualify as an enclosure/fence under the definition of “enclosure” in Nampa Ordnance (Definitions: 6-2-1).





Dispatch: 208.465.2257
Emergency: 911

Nampa Police Department
820 2nd St S Nampa, ID 83651